Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Guest Blogger- Mr. Aaron Johnston on Jane Goodall


Hi all, this is Aaron.

I thought I would share something special that happened today. Jane came by for a visit to our school today and spoke for an hour to our 5th grade in a small intimate venue. It was extremely moving and on numerous occasions I felt strong emotions such as hope, anger, disparity, laughter, regret and joy. She is a charismatic person who is so down to earth you feel you could easily be friends (everyone must have felt that way) and the way she carried herself, you would have thought her a Buddhist monk. She spoke of her life and how her path had formed through her supportive mother(I feel that I was fortunate to have one to). She talked about her expeirence studying the chimps- the rewards, the heartache. She talked about the challenges of becoming a scientist as a women in her time. But most memorable in her speech were the instances in which her mother put in place the seeds that gave her the indomitable will to work through it all and continue that work to this day (touring 300 days a year). She is an old woman now, but her youth is still  very evident in her voice,words, and eyes.And, as I see it, that's what you get when you go deep into the African jungle for 30 something years and become part of nature (must be hard to deal with noise, pollution, traffic,etc). 

The impression that is left ringing in my ears (and I hope my students) always follow your heart...regardless.








1 comment: