Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Somehow it is Christmas



 


I have no idea where the time has gone but I have never seen it move so fast. It feels like we just got here but in actuality we have been here for almost 5 months. FIVE FREAKEN MONTHS! I can't believe it even as I put it into print. And, in these five months I have not been in contact with one friend from Colombia, not one! I suck. I have left behind a whole part of my life that was so special and I have looked back a bunch to reflect but between time flying and the time difference I have never made contact with anyone. Lo siento y que pena, estoy perdida y una mal amigita! 

But with December comes Christmas. In the states it is hard not to notice Christmas. The carols, the decorations, the ads, the parties, the sweets and the overall feeling of Christmas. Here, on the other hand, not so much. Someone could pretty much tell me it is July and I would believe them. I haven't heard one Christmas Carol (Aaron couldn't be happier,) bought one gift, or felt even an inklet of Christmas Cheer. I grew up with lots of tradition. Cookie making, tree trimming, decorating, visits to holiday events, the watching of Scrooge, parties and lots (if not too much) Christmas Music. So yeah I notice the difference but my husband, someone who I will try to make traditions with, wouldn't notice if Christmas just passed right by us. He didn't grow up with too many traditions, is not too sentimental, and as far as gift giving goes- well he is not a planner. (Aaron if you are reading this- I am sorry but you know it is true! You never remember any ones birthday either! A good time to say sorry to your mom  for not calling on her birthday.) Luckily he has many redeeming qualities. 

But Christmas means one thing for SURE...vacation! Two days in counting and we will be on a plane to an unknown country with a very known friend. Last year we spent Christmas in Argentina where we got stuck in a tiny town on Christmas because there was no bus service. The streets were empty because the houses were full of people celebrating- we walked the streets alone to find all restaurants closed and a kind of, well, blah scene. 

The trio- soon to be reunited!

The good thing is we are in the Muslim world so all will be open and bustling in TURKEY but even better than that, while we may be sadly far from family, we have the next best thing....our wonderful and close friend Raphael. We are so excited to pass some time with Raph. A friend who has become somewhat of a family member to us. We share too many inside jokes, know all of each other's idiosyncrasies, laugh together and truly enjoy every moment we spend together. For those of you who don't know Raphael he is currently on a long journey bicycle trip from Paris to New Delhi India- and he will also be riding through our little village of Abu Dhabi! Here is his blog about the journey (he is an incredible photographer) http://www.comme-un-escargot.blogspot.com/



So a very Merry Christmas to all the people that I haven't written, skyped or called. I still love you all - I do but this life has swooped us up and will be spitting us out in two years.

Over the weekend we indulged in some pretty great food, Our Syrian friends invited us to a traditional Syrian brunch with amazingly tasty food. We also found a little bakery with the cheapest, freshest Afghani bread and an Indian restaurant where you can eat all you want for 3 dollars! 

Syrian Brunch:




No comments:

Post a Comment