Two month check in....we are here and surviving quite well. In a sense I would say we are faring far better here than in Colombia. Colombia had wonderful people and culture and it seemed our daily life was full of color, noise and adventure. Here things are a bit more mellow and I am liking it. There is less chaos both in the city and in the school. Perhaps the biggest difference is the opportunity for outdoor recreation. We have been biking almost everyday, in addition to exploring the city on bike there are beautiful beaches to walk and swim (five minutes out our door), bike paths, and tons of parks and green space. This opens up so much to do and gives a way to decompress from work. Work is busy, busy but organized. The school is a well oiled machine. In some ways the order makes it a lot easier than Colombia, easier but a bit less fun. I miss my coworkers in Colombia.
So hopefully this sounds a little more upbeat than my earlier entries but as many of you know living overseas can be an emotional roller coaster so I can't promise consistency.
FUNNY CULTURAL COMMENT:
The other day while on a bike ride, I saw a woman jogging in an Abaya- it is 100 degrees out! She had white nikes, an ipod with DJ style head phones and A FULL LENGTH HOODED BLACK ROBE!
I found this quite entertaining, interesting enough to share it with you but then the next day it seemed tame to what I saw.....
A woman laying out donuts on a jetski, looking at her friends on the beach while she leaned into her sharp corners IN AN ABAYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Over the weekend we biked down to a beach were a bunch of locals (including jetskiing abaya lady) were fishing and swimming. This Egyptian family were eager to share the whole experience with us, teaching us how to cast and bait a hook. When they did catch the 4" fish they went absolutely insane. I mean it was kind of bizarre- like a fit of hysteria!
| Notice Aaron changing our third flat tire in the background- lots of sticker bushes |
| This is their version of a bathing suit |
![]() |
Then there are my on going art projects, which I realize totally relax me and give me satisfaction no matter how poor the outcome. The joy is in the process.
| Large Wall hanging made from magazine cut outs, mostly to cover the electrical box |
![]() | ||||
| The door in our living room covered in quotes and I clock which I refurbished that after many hours of work does not even keep time. Oh well I hung it anyway |


No comments:
Post a Comment